Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Love of Life

Despite my incredible hiatus from blogging, I'm actually just going to post a fairly brief update on the reason I got out of bed this morning: foooooooood. Mmmm, hmmmm.

I went out to a fabuloso dinner last night with my friend, Henrik. He and I prefer dinners that are extravagant in most ways. Last night's dinner was no exception. We started with specialty cocktails with cachaca for Henrik and a vodka/champagne drink for me. We then had a green salad with cara cara oranges, pecorino, and a caper dressing. This was followed by the main attraction to the restaurant: coffee rubbed pork shoulder for Henrik (SOOOOO amazing) and beef sirloin (medium rare) with artichokes and horseradish sauce for me. We finished off with a crepe with grapefruit and dark chocolate ice cream for Henrik and little "hot date" pastries with candied kumquat for me. It was a remarkable evening of food and great conversation.

Thus, this morning I awoke and needed to find a good reason to get out of bed. I am procrastinating working on a fairly big presentation/paper due Tuesday, so that surely didn't help me think about getting up. I then decided that I would actually try and make some good oatmeal. (My main breakfast staple these days; but I usually just add hot water to instant oats with an occasional addition of dried fruit). Once in the kitchen, I became inspired by the cast iron skillet on the stove. I decided to make oatmeal pancakes! It got even more elaborate when I realized that I had a few leftover items from several batches of homemade granola: wheat germ and flax seeds. So, I took out the Jiffy and mixed in instant oats, flax seeds, wheat germ, and milk. When it reached the appropriate consistency, I poured 3 cakes into the hot, oiled skillet. Then I remembered I just bought blueberries as well! What resulted was a combination pancake/biscuit with great thickness and good flavor, which I augmented further with a little bit o' honey. I photographed the final product:


Yum!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Mouthwatering...

Erin Mordecai said...

of course you made pancakes :)

Amanda said...

pancakes...gniocchi! you do good things :) mmm indeed.