Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Second Half of the Trek Begins!

It was somewhat hard to leave Boulder. We'd been there a while, we'd enjoyed some ultimate, we went out a few times...and it was hard for me because Robin decided to head home at this juncture. All in all, it was definitely the best decision. 3 people just wouldn't really fit comfortably in my car with all my stuff. I had tried to pack to make it happen, but with Megan and Robin's stuff on top of mine, it was just too much for the Altima. Megan and I dropped Robin off at the Denver airport and said our goodbyes before hitting the road. The drive north through Coloardo was pretty, for the most part. We drove up into Wyoming a little as well before turning southwest and heading to Megan's hometown of Salt Lake City (the only state capital that is 3 words, mind you).
Megan and I got a little bored, and we didn't phone friends as much as Robin and I had. Instead, Megan taught me the states' song to make me learn to name all the US states. This started as we competed to see who had been to the most states. I won, apparently living in the southeast helps when you can drive through the more boring states...
After the states' song was learned, which took a good hour or so, we quizzed ourselves on state capitals. That was entirely pathetic, especially on my part. Robin would DEFINITELY have been ashamed. I was suddenly glad for her not to have been present. I needed (still need more) time to hone my skills...


The scenery remained quite pleasing and we even saw snow!

That night we stayed in one of Megan's high school teacher's homes. She was out of town so we had the place to ourselves. It was an adorable house! Megan drove me around the city, took me to her favorite brewery for dinner, and then drove us up to a high point for a view and down to the Temple at the center of the city. We had an incredible time, but we failed entirely on the photo-front.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

first things first. jessica arlene manley, you are already beginning to take some of the dangerous first steps down the wretched path of "west coast elitism." boring states in the southeast??? puh-lease.

would Big Swamp ever have come to be in squeaky clean colorado? i don't think soooo!

how many South of the Borders did you get to run around in on your trip to Cali? that's right!

in what state is it legal for passengers in a car to drink. Lousinanna! And the roads in Mississippi aren't THAT bad...

I will unequivocably revoke your pooky title if you become a west coast elitist!!! i mean, Cali's great and everything--enjoy it by all means--but never forget the brilliance of our wrong turn on the way to Mardi Gras.

And megan, I have to apologize for the misspelling of your name in my previous post. i have been chastized on a previous occasion that your name is not meg-HAN. forgive me?

next post i want some shots of you performing PT on buff clients at the workout place pooks. that's a request!

pooky

JAM said...

wow, i was surely NOT trying to be a west coast elitist. it's lucky for you that you remain an east-coast girl despite your change of continent;) i will support your defense of the east coast, unashamed. it's true that driving through the "boring states in the southeast" was actually much more entertaining than, say, the uninhabitable flatlands of Kansas and Colorado. i mean, there were no signs of Big Swamp, no South of the Borders, and open containers were probably not encouraged. you win, you win. but please do not doubt my east coast roots; they have been burrowin' mighty deep for 23 years.

i will have you know that people at the PT office (the buff clients) hardly believe that i'm a georgia native since i have no distinguishable accent. they seem surprised and slightly disappointed.

Unknown said...

hah, just wait to you pull out the "ya'll". people love that.

thanks for allaying my elitism fears. i keep using a lot of words on these posts that i have no idea how to really spell.

oh yes, about that phone card--it would be awesome! it should last us for awhile b/c i can buy a phone card hear too and we can alternate calling. sweet. love you!